Thursday, May 12, 2016

Music Review: Disturbed

Oh, WOW.  This song came on the music channel we were listening to the other night, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven.  I'd never heard of the band before, but their 2015 version of Simon & Garfunkel's "The Sound of Silence" is so incredible that I HAVE to have it! (Bought the CD yesterday.)  Sorry, S&G, but THIS is the way your song should be sung.  The video is excellent as well, and totally fits the meaning.

The Sound of Silence - Disturbed


Turns out Disturbed is classified (for those who care about these things) as a heavy/industrial/ alternative/nu metal band rather than goth, but the lead singer, David Draiman, draws on many styles, including hard rock, heavy metal, punk, grunge and new wave.  When he listed The Cure, The Smiths and The Misfits as influential bands (along with Kiss, Black Sabbath, Metallica, Judas Priest and Iron Maiden), I knew he was okay.  ;-)

Here are a couple more songs/videos of theirs that I really like!

The Vengeful One

The Light


Enjoy!

6 comments:

  1. Yes, that was an awesome version of the song. I liked the video too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a UK radio station, Planet Rock, that plays them a lot. I remember the first time they played SoS (one of my all time favourite songs) I actually cried, I found it so moving. Judging from their twitter feed I wasn't the only one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I was getting chills and felt like crying as well. I just got the CD last night, and it's really good. Those three songs I mentioned are still my favorites, but there are some other excellent ones on there. My only complaints are that the music on many of their songs sounds very similar, and it's REALLY hard to understand the words in most songs. ("Sound of Silence" is an exception to both of those.) Fortunately the CD came with a complete booklet of the lyrics!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I'm with you Lucretia! *This* is the way Sound of Silence was meant to be performed - I loved the video too! I liked the other songs too. Thanks for turning us/me onto them - I have so many great bands left to discover, reviews like this are great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed it! :-) I really love finding new things and sharing them. It wouldn't have been possible before The Internetz and YouTube!

      Delete